We are here to provide you with some significant steps on how to use a stationary bike. You may know a stationary bike as an exercise bike or bicycle, and you can use it as exercising equipment. As the name exercise bike suggests, it has pedals and a saddle, just like a bike and different kinds of handlebars. This equipment is used for indoor cycling to burn calories. So if you are looking for a beginner-friendly kit for weight loss, a stationary bike is your answer. Riding the bike for about 30 minutes can burn up to 300 calories, depending on different weights.
Adjusting the exercise bike should be your first step. To do this, follow the steps below:
- This step may take time but getting the right position of the bike seat is essential. When one of the pedals is at its lowest position, make sure that your leg is almost straight, not completely straight, and your knees bend slightly. Move the seat forward and backward to find a position to your preference and move it up or down to adjust the seat height.
- You are changing the handlebars to have a good grip of the handlebars without leaning forward, and your hands should not be completely straight.
- While you are focusing on pedal straps, adjust it correctly, make sure you are comfortable, and use the belts.
Avoid pedaling with your toes and leaning forward.
Now to learn how to use a stationary bike, follow the instructions below:
- For a useful but not running out of breath exercise, the resistance needs to be adjusted.
- Start pedaling at a comfortable and slow pace. Then slowly increase the pedaling speed, or you can pedal at a steady pace throughout the workout.
- Now increase the pace and resistance to increase the heart rate. Remember to decrease the resistance and slow the speed down when reaching the end of your workout.
- If you are using the electronic bike, then set how long you will work out and monitor the heart rate can be useful. You can also set the resistance at a fixed level.
Watch YouTube videos or listen to your favorite songs to keep yourself entertained.
Few benefits of cycling include:
- Burning calories using an exercise bike helps reduce diabetes risk as well as prevents cardiovascular disease.
- This practice also helps to improve the strength of the lower body and strengthens your heart.
- Joint Mobility is improved. Pedaling helps strengthen the ankles, hip joints, and knees.
- It will also boost your brain function and reduce stress.
Before you buy an exercise bike, know the different models of an exercise bike. There are three other models of an exercise bike; they are:
- Indoor cycling bike: This bike has adjustable resistance and is usually preferred for a vigorous aerobic workout.
- Vertical bike: This bike is similar to the road bicycle, usually used for performance workouts.
- Recline bike: This bike has comfortable adjustments like a backrest. So if you have a back or shoulder problem, then this bike is for you.
You want the exercise bikes to:
- Have an adjustable and comfortable seat.
- Have a backrest attached to the bike if you have back problems.
- Have an adjustable resistance.
- Have a display screen that will show you the speed, your heart rate and the calories burned.
What can different workouts be done for an exercise bike workout?
The vital step is to alternate the pace. Below are two workout examples:
- For the first 20 minutes, alternate between comfortable pace, moderate pace with medium resistance, high speed with massive resistance and the fastest speed with the heaviest resistance. Then slowly decrease the rate and resistance for the next 10 minutes. This preparation is mainly a workout for beginners.
- This workout depends on your intensity level. The intensity level can be changed by increasing your pace or the resistance, or both.
- For the first 5 minutes, pedal at a moderate pace.
- Then increase the pace too high or the fastest pace and continue pedaling at this pace for 20 seconds. After every 20 seconds, stop pedaling for 10 seconds. And to start pedaling again, begin with a comfortable pace for a minute before returning to the fastest speed.
- Repeat step b for 20 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes, pedal at a moderate pace.
- This workout is to increase your heart rate; this also involves the intensity level.
- Start with an easy-moderate pace. Pedal at this pace for 7 minutes.
- For 30 seconds, pedal at a moderate-high pace. Then next 20 seconds, pedal at high speed. And last 10 seconds, pedal at the fastest speed. Do not forget to adjust the resistance accordingly. Repeat this step 5 times.
- Now slow down to an easy-moderate speed. Continue pedaling at this pace for 2 minutes.
- Repeat step b and c.
- Finish your workout by pedaling at a moderate pace for 4 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Use A Stationary Bike
Why is cycling workout effective?
Cycling is an example of an aerobic workout that helps strengthen the heart, lungs and muscles. Cycling increases your heart rate allowing you to burn calories. That is more effective to your lower body, mainly the legs.
Is there any difference between indoor and outdoor cycling?
The critical difference is that outdoor cycling provides a workout for the entire upper body, but indoor cycling concentrates mainly on the legs. Outdoor cycling is unquestionably more challenging than indoor cycling, as you have to be aware of your surroundings and the road. Outdoor cycling might be entertaining due to different landscapes, but weather changes could be a problem. The pedal stroke is another vital issue.
Do stationary bike workouts help with weight loss?
Yes. Depending on your weight and the workout intensity, you can burn up to 300 calories in 30 minutes and 600 calories or more in 60 minutes. Start with a slow pace and increase the speed gradually.
Exercise bikes are easy to use and help you burn calories quickly. This article includes adjusting the seat height and contains routines of workout for beginners with some elementary steps on how to use a stationary bike. We hope from now onwards, you will never go a day without using your exercise bikes.
Stationary biking is a perfect exercise staple for so many great purposes. If you are interested in stationary biking, this article will help you a lot. If you want to know how to use an upright bike, you can check this article.
Table of Contents