CrossFit is a type of intense workout program that requires you to switch from one form of exercise to another. Some of these movements include squats, bar muscle-up, climbing ropes, and Olympic lifts. To avoid any injury, check your fitness level first to understand the workout intensity meant for you. If you have been doing CrossFit for a while, then here is how to get better at CrossFit.
If you want to get better at CrossFit, then you are in the right place. Few ways to get better at CrossFit are:
Start with performing air squats.
- Your feet have to be shoulder-width apart.
- Engage the abdominal muscles.
It would be best if you were sure that you are good at doing air squats before proceeding to the next exercise.
Squats using a barbell.
- Just like the air squat, maintain the feet distance.
- The barbell has to rest on your shoulders at the back. And the distance between your hands has to be more than the shoulder-width.
- You can start with less weight and gradually add extra load.
Make your interval training plan, including both air squats and squats using dumbbells. Move to the next movement after perfecting these two.
Front squats with a barbell.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- This time the barbell needs to be in front of you, resting right above your collarbone.
- Make sure that the bar doesn’t move.
- Add extra load when you think that you have perfected this movement.
Do you think you have mastered these three squats? If so, then let’s move on to squats that are not so easy to perform.
Overhead squats using a barbell.
- First, to avoid injuries, do your squats with just the bar.
- Then gradually add extra load to the bar.
- Stand in position and remember that your arms have to be shoulder-width apart.
- When you are lifting the bar, make sure that it is parallel to your shoulders at the back, and your arms should be straight.
The only thing more important than mastering this squat is positioning the bar over your head. To practice, start with a small weight and gradually add extra load and try balancing yourself.
Perform pistol squats.
- For this exercise, your feet need to be close together.
- Before performing this squat, try balancing yourself in this squat position.
- Before going down, lift one foot off the floor. For the first few tries, you can use the help of your hands to balance yourself.
- While going down, make sure that the leg you just lifted is extended forward, and the knee of the other leg should be behind the toes.
- Before raising your body again, reach a point where the hips will be below your knee crease.
Perfecting this squat may take you some, so take your time; don’t rush. Try improving your balancing skill first. After mastering all these squats, you can do interval training involving these squats.
The double under is complicated compared to the previous squats.
- Practice this daily for about 15 minutes.
- Try with different lengths of rope.
- Your wrists should be close and be on your toes.
Perform toes to the bar.
- First, try hanging from the bar and see how long you can hold this position.
- Then swing your legs up to reach the bar.
- When the toes are on the bar, hold this position for a few seconds.
- Practice this for about 20 minutes every day.
Do bar muscle-up.
- Grip the bar with your hands less than the shoulder-width apart.
- First, see how long you can hang on the bar.
- Then try pull-ups. Pull yourself over the bar and stay still for a few seconds before going back down to your hanging position.
Did you try climbing a rope? If yes, then you know it isn’t as easy as it looks.
- There are different techniques you can use to climb a rope. Try gym class lock or pull-ups.
- Extend your arms over your head and grab your robe.
- Jump and grip your rope using your feet.
- Then push your feet and move your hands higher.
Don’t try to climb the rope at once. First, try gripping the rope with your feet, improve your climbing, and climb the entire rope.
Try perfecting all the strict movements, as these movements will help build strength. You can try doing these exercises in your interval training:
- Use one arm to lift the dumbbell.
- Weighted pull-ups.
- Lift the kettlebell over your head with one arm.
- Front Rack one-leg Bulgarian Split Squat.
- Handstand push-ups.
Some different ways to test your fitness level:
- Count the number of heartbeats at your resting state to check your aerobic fitness.
- Count how many push-ups you can perform; to check the strength of your upper body.
- Turn your head to the right and to the left to check neck flexibility. Ask someone to stand behind you to note what part of your face they were able to see.
- Do a plank to check your core stability.
- Record the distance that you covered in a 12-minute run or walk to check your cardio capacity.
CrossFit helps build muscle strength, knee stability, and hip stability. It may take you about five months or more to get better at CrossFit. Record your fitness level throughout these five months to see your progression. The strict movements may take a while, so don’t give up; keep trying. Make an interval training plan of your own with movements you are good at performing. Even if you are a beginner, go through this article to know how to get better at CrossFit. This way, you can avoid any mistakes and perfect the movements.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take me to get good at CrossFit, and how many days in a week should I do CrossFit?
For improving your fitness level, it might take you about six months. If you are a beginner, then start with two days a week. A CrossFit athlete may work five days a week and rest on the weekend, but you should definitely start working out two days a week and gradually increase the number of days.
Can CrossFit help in weight loss?
No. You will see some changes to your body fat, but it won’t be drastic. You will need a nutrition plan to lose weight; otherwise, you won’t lose much weight. However, if you follow the CrossFit weight loss program’s proper ways, it will help increase muscle mass and burn calories.
What are the benefits of volume training?
Volume training also helps improve your fitness level. Here are a few benefits of volume training:
- Volume training improves flexibility.
- It improves physical strength.
- Volume training improves balance.
- It helps burn calories.
Proper practice is the main issue while you need to improve anything regarding gym work. If you want to run a marathon, you have to leave home and run every morning. Like that, if you would like to improve at CrossFit, never forget to practice every day at the fitness centre.
Have a nice day!
Leave a Reply